Are you vegan and worried about maintaining your lifestyle in college? You needn’t worry, I am here to help! Three years ago, I moved halfway across the world to a new country, in a city referred to as “the dairy state.” As you can imagine, I was worried about what my diet would look like in a dorm room, as a vegan. I quickly learned some tricks which I used throughout my freshman year and I am here to share them with you.
- Invest in a microwave food cooker: This handy dandy item was my Holy Grail for everything from pasta, potatoes, raw veggies, rice… You can cook pretty much all the essentials in this little thing.
- Stock up on canned beans and lentils: They come in handy in salads, pastas, on a bowl of rice and veggies.
- Buy a single serving blender: fruit tends to go bad quickly in dorm rooms, so you’ll want to stock up on some frozen fruits.
- Use your dorm’s kitchen: you can find tips on how best to use your dorm’s kitchen here.
- Go out, have fun, and try new places: Trying out new places will inspire you to get experimental in your dorm kitchen. I can guarantee you’ll find something you can eat at most restaurants. Some of my favorites include:
- Bloom Bake Shop: great if you are craving some baked goods. My favorite is the Sweet Potato Chai cupcake!
- Ian’s Pizza: A night out essential! (Pro-tip: Monday nights are vegan night).
- Dumplinghaus: Some of the best Asian food you’ll have in Madison
- Bowl of Heaven: If you’re into smoothies, this is the place for you!