WSUM, a student run freeform radio station, is a popular campus organization. Believe it or not, you don’t need any prior radio experience to join! And it’s not just a place for music fanatics and Radio, TV, Film majors; it draws people from many different majors. You can have a music, talk, or sports show and the creative possibilities are endless! If you aren’t convinced already, here are some reasons to join.
- Community members are welcome to join too, so you can meet some cool older folks!
- Review new albums for the station before they are even released and interview artists for the WSUM blog. What could be cooler than that?
- Score free tickets by writing a concert review. Not only is this a good way to get your writing published, but you can see your favorite bands while you’re at it!
- Produce promotional posters, website content, social media pages, and more for your show. This is a great way to learn digital marketing skills.
- Have bands stop by for a live session/interview
- Join fellow DJs for outings like a Madison Mallards game!
- Get involved with “Snake on the Lake,” WSUM’s own music festival!
- Help DJ for events by other student groups and local organizations
- Apply for jobs like traffic director or music director
- Attend production sessions and create promos and legal ID’s to keep skills sharp
Have a fresh idea for a radio show? Sign up for a training session today!