I am 20 years old, but considering myself an adult feels strange. I do have to give myself credit for how well I’ve adjusted and the tips and tricks I have picked up along the way. My brother is going to be a freshman at UW-Madison next year and today I am going to share with you all some of the advice that I gave him through a letter I wrote. I am hoping that if you are still reading this, you will find some of the following tips useful.
- Have an open mind with friendships/relationships. UW-Madison is an amazing place to form friendships with so many people unlike those you have met before who will each add to your life in small, unexpected ways.
- Establish a workout routine early on and make sure your activity of choice is something that makes you feel good.
- Know when to say no. In college, you will have so many opportunities for so many events and occasionally, it is okay to take some time to yourself.
- Be strict with yourself on cleaning your room and doing your laundry.
- Don’t get too caught up in trying to prove who you are to those around you freshmen year. Know that the right people will enter your life and you do not need to act like you are a certain person.
- Eat well and put thought into what you get at the dining hall. Your diet will have long-term effects on your well-being.
- Don’t take any of it for granted.
While it may be overwhelming, know that so many have gone down this path before you. Take each day at a time and get excited for this transition!