Hi, freshman! I’m sure you feel you’ve missed out on some of the best months of senior year because of COVID-19. Still, I hope you’re finding light in spite of this situation and looking forward to coming to UW-Madison this fall! One of my favorite parts leading up to arriving at college (which you can easily do during quarantine(!)) was designing my dorm room! Here’s how:
- Step 1: Make it clear from the beginning (ex: On the Facebook group) that you’d like to put effort into your room.
- I’m a HUGE believer that the space in which you inhabit has a big impact on your wellbeing. From the beginning, I knew I wanted a room in which I felt happy and calm. I couldn’t do this on my own, I needed a roommate who felt the same way!
- Step 2: Create a shared Pinterest board to compile ideas for your room.
- This is a great way to stockpile inspiration for your future room. Pinterest boards are organized and allows for more than one contributor to a board, which is awesome for collaboration!
- Step 3: Don’t. Rush. The. Process.
- Perfecting your dorm room takes time… I spent ~5 months purchasing items. This allowed me to be particular about the items, rather than rushed and stressed. Also, by keeping an eye out for certain items (the expensive ones(!)), I was able to snag a few deals throughout the summer that I would likely not have gotten had I sped through the process.
In the end, remember to have fun and be patient. It will all come together. Feel free to post other ideas you have, items you have found that you love, or questions in the comments:) I can’t wait to see all you baby Badgers this fall!