Wisconsin’s bitter winter months can often lead to countless nights spent inside under a warm blanket with a box of Toppers, but too many nights spent binge-watching Netflix can feel monotonous and boring after a while. Underrated nightlife opportunities are scattered throughout the downtown area and certainly do give ‘Netflix and chill’ some competition for nighttime attention. If you’re willing to switch up the typical State Street scene, check out these options for a new experience!
- The Frequency (121 W Main St.)
- The Frequency is punk dive bar that offers live music, eclectic decorations, and boasts an intimate ambience.
- Maduro (117 E Main St.)
- Maduro is a retro cigar bar, and the only cigar bar, in Madison. With a cozy atmosphere and a fully stocked bar, the tucked-away bar provides an apt space to comfortably hang out with your friends for quite a while.
- Genna’s Lounge (105 W Main St.)
- Genna’s Lounge offers a solid array of tunes from the jukebox and an eccentric crowd. Guests of this venue enjoy the low-key atmosphere and quick service.
- The Madison Blind (601 Langdon St.)
- Located on the top floor of The Graduate Hotel, The Madison Blind is both a restaurant and a bar. Feel free to bring a few friends and enjoy some duck fat fries and wine. The outside area of the rooftop is open during the warm months and boasts a view that’s hard to ignore.